NEXT STEP AFTER YOU CONFIRM THERMOSTAT IS OPERATING PROPERLY
All newer furnaces are self diagnosing and will flash an led light in a sequence to give you a one or two digit trouble code . The code is usually published on the door of the furnace, service manual, or can be found online. Try to note the problem code on the furnace before any attempt to reset is made as it will help a professional if you can’t get it fixed yourself. It could be a number code or short and long flashes ie. 3 short 1 long would mean code 31
If the power is off on the furnace check that the power switch is turned on. The switch is located high on the wall or ceiling, It looks like a light switch and can be shut off by accident. Still no power then check the house breaker for the furnace as it sometimes will not fully flip instead just move a little. If breaking has tripped then the problem is short to ground in the furnace, Most times the problem will be in the motor.
One of the most common problems is a dirty filter so start by remove the furnace filter clean or replace as needed. Flat filters should be replaced every month, Pleated filters should be changed every 3 months. Pleated filters will last longer due to the larger surface area since if it was stretched out the filter would be three times as long. The type of filter I use needs the main box professionally installed but yearly changes can be done by home owner, just make sure you can buy the filters without dealer. the filter is about 5 inch wide and it only needs to be changed once a year.
Not every filter will last the specified time since every house is different and get dirty at different rates due to outside dust, inside rugs, animals.
Click here to see my Post “First Check Thermostat”
Thank you for visiting my blog I would appreciate any feedback I can get, Please leave a comment on whether my information has helped you. I am always interested in more topic to write so feel free to leave a comment asking about anything related to HVAC-R(Heating, Ventilation ,air conditioning, refrigeration).
Thanks for reading my blog
When a furnace stops heating there are many things a home owner can do to fix the problem before calling in a professional and paying lots of money
first thing you should check is your thermostat and make sure it is set properly
- heat/cool/heat/off switch is set to heat
- auto/on does not affect heat call -on fan will run all the time and change speeds with heat or cooling call -auto fan only runs on heat or cooling calls
- temperature call must be higher then the room temperature where the thermostat is located (when house is cold, by adding heat near the thermostat it may cause the furnace not to come on due to that heat. the rest of the house will be cold
- digital thermostats will use battery’s make sure they are above 1.5 volts. Do not use rechargeable battery’s, as they are designed for cameras and are only 1.2 volts.some digital thermostats do not require battery to run, because they are getting power from furnace on “C” terminal . Some any time “C” terminal is connected the battery’s are only good if you remove thermostat from wall for programming . Battery’s will leak if left for long time it is still recommended to replace battery’s every couple years. Battery’s should be tested yearly
- similar to heating except heat/cool/off must be set to cool
- temperature must be set below room temperature
Click here to see my Post “Next step after Thermostat”
Click here to see my Post “Cracked Heat Exchanger”
Click here to see my Post on protecting your home when on vacation “Alarm for Home”
Thank you for visiting my blog I would appreciate any feedback I can get, Please leave a comment on whether my information has helped you. I am always interested in more topic to write about, so feel free to leave a comment asking about anything related to HVAC-R(Heating, Ventilation ,air conditioning, refrigeration).
Thanks for reading my blog